PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Wonderful World of Oz

Everyday Life in Australia

Megan's View:

Being here has brought a lot of changes, who knew it would actually be tough not working. Trying to figure out what to do with your days when you don't have a job or any real form of transportation other then your own two feet makes it a bit of a challenge. It's not that I don't like walking to where I need to be, it's that between the distance and the heat it isn't always a viable option. Thankfully, the sisters of the congregation we are apart of have been wonderful in making sure I have a ride to service on Mondays and Wednesdays and that has been a true blessing. I love Monday service because it is the day everyone "goes out country" and I usually end up spending most of the day away from the unit. Fridays have become my baking and cleaning day which is a good distraction from the biggest change of all. Siyani works 10 hour days and being apart from him for what seems like forever is really hard. Coming from a job where I saw him everyday throughout the day and where we had lunch together almost everyday to a situation where he is gone before I wake up and away for such long periods of time has been a real challenge for me. I have Taija 3 days a week to hang out with and that is great, but you don't realize how attached you are to a person until you don't have them around as often. I always knew CC and I were weird with how much we love spending all of our time together but I guess I never really realized just how real it was. It's not a change I love but one I am learning to live with (mostly cause there is no other option). One of the best changes this move has brought is our reliance on Jehovah and each other. We try harder here in every aspect, we try harder to pre-study, to get to the meetings and to make the most of the time we have with each other.  Change isn't always easy but right now it is really good. 

A little ocean view from us to you


Siyani's View:

Australia has its differences I wont deny it, but other than the fact that the humidity in the air fuzzes my hair there is nothing I can really complain about. As Megan mentioned there are things that we are having to adjust to. I am now working ten hour days, which entails getting up at 6:00 in the morning and not getting home until 5:15. Choice of food while similar has its differences and even things like yogurt are slightly different. One of the biggest changes of all is driving on the opposite side of the road to what we are used to but when my job is cleaning cars that I at times then have to either drive to a storage lot or to the stalls we park the cars in at the Airport, it is a change I have had to adjust to fairly quickly. Even though we are approaching our third week in the country it feels as though we have barely been here a week. Working ( so far ) six day weeks and dealing with the process of buying a car along side day to day life has made things go fairly quickly. I have thankfully been adjusting to the heat fairly well although it is going to get 5-10 degrees warmer so we will see how I am doing once summer fully hits. I do however find that once you hit 30 Celsius anything over that doesn't feel that much worse and while everyone asks me how I am finding the humidity I don't even notice it. In fact I much prefer it to be hot and humid to the dry heat we often get in Canadian summers. That and living next to the Ocean means there is generally a mid day cool breeze that brings with it a pleasantly sweet aroma. Overall I am very happy to be here alongside Megan. I look forward to embracing the changes and taking in all the experiences and lessons that Australia has to offer us.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that even though you guys dont see each other as often its drawing you both closer together through your reliance on Jehovah. Keep up all the good work guys

    ReplyDelete